« All Events
Metis Sash Loom Weaving (Live workshop, 2 days)
November 5, 2022 @ 10:00 am - November 6, 2022 @ 3:00 pm $273
Create your own custom sayncheur flayshii (Metis sash) on an artisan hand loom while learning traditions and history of the Metis sash. This cultural workshop takes place in a small group, with plenty of time for tea & socializing while we learn.
You don’t need weaving experience – Beginners are encouraged to come learn the basics of loom weaving from a Metis perspective. Loom and tools are easy to use and can be applied – along with your new skills – to a variety of woven projects.
Date/Time: Saturday/Sunday, November 5 & 6, 2022. 10:00am – 3:00pm each day
Location: Kodiak Herbal, 2410 2 Ave SE, Calgary
- Hand-made cedar & pine loom, rigid heddle, shuttle, backboard, yarn, pattern and threading tool
- Instruction to assemble loom, the basics of good weaving, troubleshooting, properly finishing a woven project
- Hands-on guidance to complete your first project – a full-size, custom Metis sash in the chevron or arrow pattern
- History and traditions of the ‘sayncheur flayshii’ (Michif for ‘arrow belt’)
- Contemporary use, symbolism & culture of the Metis sash – overview of the many options for creating your own designs
- Access to printable pattern files that can be edited to create endless new designs
- Easy to use patterns and tools that can be reused for further projects such as belts, regalia bands, panels, dish clothes, small towels, cloth bags – and of course, more sashes
Become a member of the “I Made My Own Sash Club” on Facebook after the workshop, to share images of your work, connect with other sash weavers and ask questions/get help with future projects. New patterns and ideas are occasionally added to the group, as well as offers for future weaving workshops and learning opportunities.
$260.00+gst for all materials & teachings
While this workshop is live in Calgary, you can also take part in the online video workshop via kodiakherbal.thinkific.com . Please note: prices are listed in USD on kodiakherbal.thinkific.com .
Want a Workshop in Your Community? We love to travel for workshops! Minimum group size is 10 participants, please email Kalyn@KodiakHerbal.com for a quote for a workshop in your community.