Herbalist Kalyn Kodiak enjoys sharing stories and skills from Metis culture, the art of Herbal medicine, and other traditions of the Southern Alberta Metis. Some of her favorite topics include:
- 80 Years on the Plains: The Story of Marie Rose Delorme Smith, Metis Midwife, Herbalist & Author. Marie Rose grew up in a trade caravan, and settled the prairies near present-day Pincher Creek with her rancher husband. She was the contemporary of well-known early Albertans such as Kootenay Brown, Blue-Flash-of-Lightning, Father Albert Lacombe, and Chief Crowchild, as well as famous outlaws, Charcoal and Billy the Kid. Her perspective as a trader’s daughter turned matriarch is full of stories of hardship, celebration, resourcefulness and courage in the old West.
- How the Metis Used Herbs: Recipes & Remedies from my Great-great-Grandmother. Delve into the history of herbalism from an indigenous perspective. With her great-great-grandmother’s recipe book in hand, Kalyn will demonstrate various methods for keeping a family healthy and happy in the treaty days, using only materials to be found on-hand in a prairie homestead.
- All of Creation is our Relations: A Metis look at Belonging
- History & Contemporary Symoblism of the Metis Sash
- The Organoleptic Museum of Herbs
- Herbs for Limber Muscles, Strong Bones & Healthy Joints
- “I have lived many winters” – Keeping the Immune System Strong
- A Crash Course in Formulating Old Time Herbal Remedies
- “Friend of the People” – Medicine of the Poplar Trees
- Medicine & Meditations: Meeting Spirit Helpers
- The Pleasure of Tea: Blending, Tasting & Connecting
Custom speeches are available, please email Kalyn@KodiakHerbal.com to discuss creating a presentation for your group.