Choose from 2 Sundays: Feb 17th or Feb 24th, 2019
11am – 3pm
The sticky buds of the Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera) are the Medicine of Springtime. Used around the world to seal up wounds, the healing resin stops bleeding and relieves pain, while preventing infection. The balsam tree is Nature’s Bandage!
Come and learn to use the gifts of the Balsam Poplar tree. We will go from Harvest to creation of a Take-Home Medicine Chest of balsam bud goodies! Uses of the balsam poplar & other poplar-family cousins for food, medicine, shelter, and household tools will be discovered in a celebration of the Plant Nation. See images from previous Balsam Harvest Fests.
This Festival of Poplars is part herb-walk, part traditional apothecary experience. You can attend just 1 day or both days! We will sing different songs and make different medicines each day (total of 4 take-home medicines in all).
|Both Days (Feb 17th & 24th)||Choose # of tickets & Discount:|
|Feb 17th Only||Choose # of tickets & Discount:|
|Feb 24th Only||Choose # of tickets & Discount:|
What to Expect:
– Meet the cousins of Balsam, the Poplar family! They are a close-knit bunch!
– Explore the many healing properties of Balsam & how to Identify it- Process our Buds into 2 unique medicines per day
– Learn to Harvest all parts of the Balsam tree safely, legally and with respect for nature (and without getting all sticky!)
– Take home your own Balsam medicine chest on the same day
– Drumming, singing, traditional stories about the Standing People (our friends the trees)
What to Bring:
-Warm clothes, according to the weather (we will be outside for 1-2 hours)
-a pair of inexpensive/disposable gloves
– a notepad and pen/pencil
– a snack to eat at 1pm
– a travel mug or water bottle (tea and water will be provided)
– a hand-drum, if you want to join in the drumming