Sunday, February 25th, 2018
11am – 4pm
The sticky buds of the Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera) are the Medicine of Springtime. Used around the world to seal up wounds, they stop bleeding and relieve pain while preventing infection. In fact, the balsam bud is Nature’s Bandage!
Come and learn to use the gifts of the Balsam Poplar tree. We will go from Harvest to creation of a Take-Home Medicine Chest of balsam bud goodies!
This festival of the trees is part herb-walk, part outdoor apothecary experience. We will steep our medicine over an open fire (weather permitting). See images from previous Balsam Harvest Fests.
Balsam Harvest & Medicine Making
Sunday, Feb 25th 2018, 11am – 4pm
| PER PERSON
*Discounts for Doubles & AHA Members*
In this 5 hour course we will:
– Learn to Harvest all parts of the Balsam tree safely, legally and with respect for nature (and without getting all sticky!)
– Process our Buds into 2 unique medicines: Anti-inflammatory Balm and Liquid Wound Sealer
– Explore the many healing properties of Balsam and the traditions and legends of the poplar family
– Learn Tips and Tricks for handling the messiest of Herbal substances: Resins!
– Meet the cousins of Balsam, the Poplar family! They are a close-knit bunch!
– Take home your own Balsam medicine chest on the same day
What to Bring:
-Warm clothes, according to the weather (we will be outside for a minimum of 2 hours – max. 5 hours)
-a pair of inexpensive gloves (I get mine at the dollar store). * please note, they will get impossibly sticky!
– a notepad and pen/pencil
– a snack to eat at 1pm
– a travel mug or water bottle (tea and water will be provided)