The sticky buds of the Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera) are the Medicine of Springtime. They are used to seal up wounds, stop bleeding and relieve pain while preventing infection. In fact, the balsam bud is
Come and learn to use the gifts of the Balsam Poplar tree. We will go from Harvest to the creation of a Take-Home Medicine Chest of balsam bud goodies!
Balsam Bud Harvest & Medicine Making Course (1 day) Saturday, Feb 25th 2017, 11am – 4pm
*Registration is closed! Thank you for attending this workshop. The 3rd Annual Balsam Bud Harvest will take place in February 2018.
In this 5 hour course we will:
– Learn to Harvest the buds of a Balsam tree safely and legally (and without getting all sticky!)
– Process our Buds into 2 unique medicines: Anti-inflammatory Balm and Liquid Bandage
– Learn Tips and Tricks for handling the messiest of Herbal substances: Resins!
– Take home your own Balsam medicine chest on the same day
What to Bring:
-Warm clothes, according to the weather (we will be outside for about 2 hours)
-a pair of inexpensive gloves (I get mine at the dollar store). * please note, they will get impossibly sticky!
– a notepad and pen/pencil
– a snack to eat at 1pm
– a travel mug or water bottle